Sunday, June 14, 2015

Out of the Closet

Dear Everyone,
My oldest son, Preston decided that the time had finally come to share some important personal info. Here is a copy of his FB post:

"Yes. I am Gay. I am also a Mormon. No it's not ideal. No it's not a choice. Yes I am happy. Yes to any questions anyone has. Call me at (XXX) XXX-4113. I hate texting. Phone calls are much preferred. Yes, I talk about it openly, and will not be offended. Keep scrolling smile emoticon. Have a good day!"

I am grateful that he has arrived at a place where he can let people know who he is.  I am sure many people are in the "Why on earth would anyone declare something like this? Why does it matter?" 

Those are good questions. And here are my opinions. Whenever we, as human beings, feel like there is something different/ unique/ special about us, we tend to hide it for fear of rejection.  Anyone, le'st say for the sake of example, a fabulous gay teen growing up in an especially conservative Christian community (aka Utah) would understandably feel somewhat tentative at sharing something that could easily make him a target. So sharing takes courage. Sharing takes faith in humanity.  Sharing inevitably becomes a test of character for those who are told.  Once the secret is pulled out of the closet and into the light, will we spout off our political agendas? Express disbelief or sentiments that it's just a phase/ that they'll outgrow it? Share our version of what God has to say on the matter, naively assuming that the our LBGT friend hasn't been communicating with God all along? I hope and pray that all of my sons friends, teachers, classmates, neighbors, church members, and family will pass this test of character. That they will follow the example of our Savior, and keep the two great commandments, found in Matthew 22:


 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.   38 This is the first and great commandment.   39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
 The world would be a much better place if we try our best to treat each other as we want to be treated. The best news is that no one needs to figure out what Preston should do with his future.  He's gay, not stupid. He's on it. He just needs love and acceptance. Just like the rest of us. I absolutely love my son, with all of my heart.  I'm thankful every single day that I get to be his mom. 



The light is always better than the dark.


9 comments:

  1. beautifully said. I love this and I love Preston and I love you. I think it speaks VOLUMES about his mother (you) and him. What great wonderful people. I feel honored to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, I choose to love and to accept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently wrote a blog post about being gender non-conforming, that you might find interesting. I have no idea what it must be like to confront sexual orientation, especially in the context of our church culture, and I have a lot of love and respect for Preston's bravery and honesty. But I do understand what it feels like to be different and unable to relate with others. http://jvalentiner.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. Lindsey, I have always admired and looked up to you, even more so now. Thank you so much for posting this. I hope Preston knows how loved and supported he is through this journey. He has always had such a light and I can't begin to express my love for you both and your family. I'm so lucky to know such amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having spent the week with your family I can say three words SMITH'S ARE AMAZING. The love you have for your children is palpable. Preston will continue to be one of my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I commented on this. I guess I didn't. You and Ryan are wonderful parents and people. Preston is a great young man. We are lucky to know him and you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great family! Thank you for letting us in. Preston seems amazing. You too!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete