Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Calvin Vs.The DMV!!!

My handsome and kind 16-year-old is now a legally licensed driver, according to the state of Utah.  His birthday was about a week and a half ago, in between Christmas and New Years, which made it impossible for him to take his drivers test on his actual birthday.  Today was the soonest we could get him an appointment, but it was worth the wait. On our way to the DMV, it looked like Calvin was speeding like a madman, but all of the surrounding traffic was zooming past us. It took me about 30 seconds to realize that somehow Calvin's speedometer was no longer reading miles, but was showing kilometers. And his test would be done in this car, Ryan's Prius. I knew if I panicked that he would panic... but I think we both felt a little panicky. After checking the car manual (useless) and reading a few random gems from the internet, I finally discovered that Calvin must have accidentally hit a button with his knee when he climbed into the car. So, he pushed that button again and the car was back to ready miles.  Crisis averted. The lovely woman who took gave the test was super kind and encouraging, which balanced out his nerves. In fact, he got a perfect score on his exam. She printed it out for me to see.  Well done Calvin Rider Holman Smith. Today was definitely a red letter day.


The moment he's been waiting for (just 16 years): Getting his license. 



Norman and I were there to witness his blaze of glory, his moment in the hot sun.



Ryan met us after to celebrate. I love that Calvin chose the place that he works at to get a bite to eat.  He went for the double garden fresh cheeseburger. Norman got the corndog. Ryan enjoyed a chocolate custard, and I couldn't resist the vanilla custard Sunday with real fudge and toasted almonds. A delicious treat for a milestone life event. Calvin is not a regular boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment