Monday, October 31, 2016

Holding a Wombat

On our last official day in Sydney, Ryan and I partied like it was 1999. We took a bus tour to the blue mountains, took a ferry boat ride in the harbor, hiked all around the blue mountains, and went to a petting zoo and actually petted exotic Australian animals. It was the perfect ending to a dream second honeymoon (and unlike our first honeymoon in Acapulco, I didn't get strep throat, my glasses weren't stolen on the beach, the sewer didn't back up into the coastline, we weren't stranded on an island for several hours, and we weren't blackmailed by locals on the beach.) Definitely an upgrade in romantic vacations!


I'm petty a wallaby! How lucky is that?!



This was probably the highlight of my time in Sydney.
I'm holding a wombat that is 6 months old, with Ryan as my witness.



Her name is "Piglet." And if I could have smuggled her on the plane with me, I would have.
It's illegal to have wombat as a pet, even in Australia... but people didn't think that we could land on the moon, and everyone thought the Berlin wall wouldn't come down... so there's still hope.
(And FYI... I got to hold a baby lion on my honeymoon at what I'm sure was an illegal petty zoo. I have this thing about holding random animals... it fills my soul.)


 

This is what Piglet will look like when she's older.
Darling.



Ryan was legit scared of this koala. Isn't that sad. He had to be asked to scoot in a little closer for the picture. I was on the left bc that was the side that was allowed to pet the koala, and I came to Australia to pet a koala.



Ryan wasn't afraid to feed the kangaroo.



Neither was I.



This is an overlook of the Blue Mountains. It's the only shot where my eyes were semi-opened.
Ryan kept teasing me about it, but he's got a hat on.



I had a kangaroo burger for lunch. A little gamey, but with beets and swiss cheese, it was delicious nonetheless. And they call that black bun a "Bush" bun. I'm sure it's just to amuse the tourists, but it works!


Hiking at the bottom of the rainforest in the Blue Mountains. 300 foot waterfall.
Camera ran out of juice. Bummer.



In several shops I saw lotions for sale that included "placenta" in the title.
As an American, that just doesn't have the same appeal that I think it does for the people of Australia.
Incidentally, as an American, I had more than a few people ask me about the "crazy American election" and the leaked Trump video. I imagine it would be easier to explain the appeal of placenta cream, than it was to explain our election.



Our flight home was cancelled, and so in the interim of finding a new flight, we hung out in the sky lounge with tasty treats.



They even had a massage chair in the lounge.
And it's official: I like massage chairs.




From start to finish, my trip was incredible. Thanks to my handsome husband for making this happen, and to my wonderful nanny and friend for holding down the fort whilst we were away. All were safe and happy upon return.

1 comment: