Sunday, October 8, 2017

5 Long Months

I recall having some acne as a teen. Enough so that I tried Retin A, which seemed to help a bit. However, like most acne creams, the warning on the label indicated that I should avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. I ran cross-country and track, and played soccer, so the "no sunlight" prescription was basically a joke. Throughout the last 2 decades, my skin has never been entirely clear, and occasionally it has been horrible.

With pregnancies and nursing, a woman is somewhat restricted on what medication can be used to deal with something as "trivial" as acne. However, about 7 months ago my skin was at an all time awful. I had heard Acutane was the devil; that the side effects can be wretched. However, beyond my acne hurting my feelings (frustration at my appearance every time I was in a photo, or doing a television demo) my skin itself hurt. As in bad-acne-skin makes smiling hurt. Putting on make-up hurts. Washing your face hurts.  You know that feeling when you're getting a zit right at the crease where your nostril meets your cheek? It's like that pain, but over 20+ places on your face. I'de been to a few dermatologists over the years, and a time or two Acutane was mentioned, but I always thought "No, it's not that bad." However, the fever pitch hit this Spring, and I took the Acutane plunge.

Actually, once the decision was made, I had to wait an entire month to prove I wasn't pregnant. I had to take pregnancy tests monthly (the law), and was required to take and pass an online quiz monthly too (also the law) before I could get my medicine. Being a feminist, none of this sat well with me, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Side effects, at least my side effects, included dry itchy eyes (I could barely hold someones gaze) lips that would chap so bad they would start to bleed, dry flaky skin (my face would literally peel after a shower; I slathered on aquifer at night) achy joints (especially my feet) a bright red face (that looked like I'de been laying out in the sun and accidentally fell asleep) and some depression (which was the most frustrating side effect of all, bc it's illusive... am I sad bc my life is lame? or is this medication that I'm taking lame?... or is it both!) I wish I could say that the last 5 months and 150 pills flew by. I've felt every single day, but I'm pleased with the results. Here's to hoping that all of the above side effects wear off fast, and that the acne free skin remains till the day I die (which I'm planning will be after I turn 95 so Ryan and I can celebrate our 75th anniversary.)


Whenever I was hating the Acutane, I took a look at this picture to remind myself why I was taking it. I think the out of the shower, "wet dog look" added encouragement to endure. This was snapped about 3 days before I started the medicine.



I tried to duplicate the out of shower picture, just to help give an accurate comparison. 
So, there's that.



Here's a photo booth picture from about 2 minutes ago, because I can and do smile with my teeth.
Discuss amongst yourselves.


5 comments:

  1. You are a beauty inside and out!!! The courage to share these photos only proves how down to earth you really are. It helps that the after photo is so incredible!! Studio 5 should have you do a segment on skin and then another cooking demo :) Yeah for modern medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pain! You are a rockstar, and I love your tenacity and willpower to do and endure whatever comes your way. The fact that you think so deeply about everything and examine every aspect of a scenario is a wonderful gift. You inspire me! I feel better about the world because you are in it (and that family of yours.) Thank you, Lindsey, for keeping it real. You are loved, appreciated, and a gorgeous human being inside and out! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a roller coaster! I'm so glad you're done. Hooray! Onwards and upwards. You were beautiful through it all, but your skin does look fabulous now. Funny that when you were having acne problems, all I could see was how thin you were and how badly I wished I could look like you. I hope you know that when I see you on good or bad days, I see nothing but beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lindsey... first of all your stinking gorgeous! holycow your beautiful! your skin looks incredible!!!! second good for you for wanting to feel and look better. it's ok to be vain sometimes. your incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I likewise had really bad acne as a teenager and took every medicine on the market. Eventually I took Accutane as well, and suffered similar side effects, but also terrible joint pain in my knees and ankles. I also got chronic nose bleeds for years afterwards. But I too, would say the monthly blood tests and side effects were worth the results of being acne free! The acne was eradicated forever!

    ReplyDelete