Monday, June 20, 2011

Blurred Vision

Blurred vision is all it takes to let me know that I will be totally out of commission for the next 3 to 12 hours. That is my very first tell-tale sign that a migraine has arrived to ruin my day. This was my Monday morning: I got up early to jog with a pal, let's say three miles because that sounds like a decent distance. I actually ran fairly hard and was sweaty and cold (because it's only the end of June and that means summer has yet to arrive.) When I walked into the house I headed into my living room to do some sit-ups and that's when I noticed the fuzzy, crescent shaped blurry vision. As the migraine progressed, the moon shape grew larger and all sorts of bad junk can happen next. Sensitivity to light and sound, general pain all over and, my personal favorite, nausea.

As a young child I was known as a bit of a hypochondriac, and for good reason. I loved visiting the nurses office and have always had a flair for the theatrical. But as an adult, looking back on many of my childhood illnesses, I now know that I was having migraines. Sudden blurred vision, with symptoms to follow in the proceeding hours.

Ladies and Gentlemen, to all of you out there who have ever suffered through a migraine; I feel your pain. To those of you who have never had a migraine; those dramatic migraine ads aren't exaggerating. It really can be that bad. Today's wasn't terribly long, four hours, but it was still exhausting. What a day, I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Yuck! I think it stinks that you had them as a child and we never knew. I am going to save that in my memory bank, in case my kids ever get nausea and head aches, I will remember what you went trough just in case it happens to them. Two thumbs down for migraines!

    ReplyDelete