Sunday, May 29, 2011

35%

Thursday was turning out to be a very lame day. For those of you not living in Utah, you might not be aware that the Beehive State has yet to realize that Spring should be almost over and summer should be knocking at the door. For example, the high today was 50 degrees and its rainy and cold. Add to that other life disappointments, giving Thursday the thumbs down. Ryan and I decided that our family should take a brisk stroll in the cold down to the grocery store.

We bought some donut holes, I bought some buttermilk for a killer chocolate cake recipe. As we were leaving the supermarket, Ryan spotted President Henry B. Eyring, an apostle of the Lord. He is much taller than he appears in his broadcast talks. Well, having my entire family with me, I summoned courage, said hello, and asked him if he would shake the hands of my family members. When he got to Preston, who is actually about half an inch shorter than me, I told him of Preston's plans to receive the Priesthood on his twelfth birthday. He told Preston congratulations. It was a very short and sweet conversation, a lovely unexpected tender mercy on what was otherwise, a fairly lousy day.

As we walked away from President Eyering back up the hill to our home, Ryan turned to me and said, "Well, I think that my testimony just increased by 35%." I Said "Wow, I wonder what would have happened if we had just met the prophet." I guess these occasional chance encounters are just one of the perks of living in Utah.

5 comments:

  1. One of my all time favorites, I love President Eyring. Summon up the courage, I don't think you ever have had to do that, this coming from the girl who yelled "Oaks!" when we saw him bounding up the church offices stairs. What a blessing to get such chance encounters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw President Eyring at Dicks the other night with his wife, I was on the the isle with the toilet paper. He and his wife walked down the isle and he grabbed a pack of toilet paper and he said I this is the number one thing that I would hate to run out of. I couldn't help but giggle a little, it is good words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that is all we need to do to increase testimonies, maybe we should just line up General Authorities somewhere and have all the youth of the church shake their hands. Heck, maybe we should send all their parents through too!

    I see him there all the time and I have never said a word. But then I am not Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete