Friday, June 15, 2018

Homeless

Due to the timing of the sale of our home in Bountiful, Utah and the purchase of our home in Pullman, WA, for a brief few days, our family has been homeless. 6 days in hotels has been a party. 2 days in Bountiful, giving us time to load the trucks. Yes, that truck was plural: we ended up filling up two Uhauls. That also gave us time to clean up the place for the new owners, which are bound to be fabulous. 2 Days in a Boise hotel... nothing says happy 20th anniversary like Boise! We talked about hitting Paris for the big 2.0., but we hit Zoo Boise with the kids, which was also totally lovely. Paris can wait a little longer. This morning finds us in the last of our 3 hotels, and in a few hours, we will move into our new house in Pullman.  In short, it's absolutely beautiful here. The air is clear, the weather is crisp and cool, and the people have all been exceptionally friendly. That being said, after over a decade of living in Bountiful, it's been hard to even picture another location that would ever feel like home. The reasons for my love for our Utah North Canyon Neighborhood and congregation would fill a book. Also, as any parent knows, making a place feel like home is no small task, and since I'm the stay-at-home parent, the task falls pretty heavily on my shoulders. In my darkest hour a few days before we moved, I found myself alone in my car, tissues in abundance, bawling. Tears streaming down my face, pouring out my heart to God all of my frustrations about this move: helping sad and angry kids adjust to a new place, getting to know new neighbors (and hoping they like us and vice versa), meeting a new congregation, navigating a new grocery store, leaving behind my cooking group, no longer doing television demos for Studio 5, etc.) I let every thought and fear and worry and emotion float up to God for over an hour. I had no requests for God, no plan, I just wanted to empty the contents of my aching of soul. I sat in silence for a minute, and then finally turned on the radio... and I found myself in the second verse of the song "Home" by Philip Phillips.

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you’re not alone
'Cause I’m going to make this place your home
It was a direct answer from God. It was exactly what I needed to hear, exactly when I needed to hear it. God is good. Pullman, here we come. Thanks to everyone who has helped with our move. Know that your servise and love have carried our family through this transition.

2 comments:

  1. Now every time I hear that song I'll think of you!! Great lyrics. Can't wait to see what's in store for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing lady!!! I hadn’t seen your posts over the past several months so i’m just getting the moving news. �� It is soooo hard to move!!! My dad was in the Air Force so I moved many times growing up and it never gets easier! If it weren’t for a worldwide church I don’t know if I could have handled it.
    I’m cheering you on & praying for you & your family to feel peace & comfort as you are adjusting to your new home! ❤️

    ReplyDelete