Sunday, March 25, 2018

Happy Chinese New Year!

As many of you may or may not know, Chinese New year for 2018 was celebrated in February. The elementary school that our kids attend is lucky enough to have a Mandarin Chinese Immersion program. This means that my 4th grader and 6th grader have spent 1/2 of every school day in two classes: a n English only class, and a Mandarin Chinese class.  I speak no Chinese, but am skilled at eating eggrolls. So there's that.  A few weeks ago my family sat down to watch a favorite Disney movie: Sky High. There's a scene in the movie where they're in a Chinese restaurant, and some Chinese is spoken. I turned to Annie and asked her what they said. All casually she translated the dialogue in English. My first thought was "Oh my word, you actually know Mandarin!" My second thought was "Wowsers, I'm such a good mom bc you know Mandarin."... in all honestly, being a mom is hard and I'm regularly searching for both proof that my kids won't be psychotic killers and meaning/purpose in the journey. Their school did a great job celebrating the holiday with a parade during school, and then a carnival that evening for the whole family to enjoy. And enjoy we did.


Annie all dolled up with some of her friends.



Owen and a friend looking handsome as ever.



The Chinese festival had 7 different stations for the kids to check out. 
We checked out most of them.
Chinese Masks.



Stilts.



Chinese Yo-yo.



Chinese character writing.



Ribbon dancing. Great night.

Feb 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment