Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Costco!!!

When Ryan and I were doing some pre-move research on Edinburgh, we discovered 2 things. First, it would be silly to bring shorts.  None of the locals wear shorts because it's cold, and only foreigners are caught making that faux pas.   Second, they have a Costco.  This was both reassuring (I love my samples!) and mildly disappointing (not really the overseas different way of doing things I had in mind.)
Today was our first family outing to Costco, minus Ryan who was away in Birmingham on a business trip.  It really is very similar to my home Costco in Bountiful, but the food court carried some different items. The "jacket potatoes", a.k.a. baked potatoes, came with the options of topping them with beef chili, cheese, tuna (what!?!) or coleslaw (what again !?!) As it was close to dinner time, I headed over to the food court and purchased an entire cheese pizza.  Get angry now because it actually tasted different/better than in the states, with it's four cheese blend and thicker crust, and was ready in just 7 minutes.  Whilst we waited, I purchased a "cottage pie" to amuse the kids.  It is ground beef in gravy, topped with mashed potatoes, and cheddar cheese melted on top, with more gravy.  My children loved and devoured it.  The cottage pie (shepherds pie) tasted exactly like what it was... and not that I'm bitter but I've made it...better...and was never met with that reaction.  Maybe they were just cold or got caught up in the Costco moment.

5 comments:

  1. We don't even have a Costco in Cary. I'm glad you have made it safely. Good luck on the house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really will take more than luck, but divine intervention to find a place :~)

      Delete
  2. Potatoes with tuna?! Wowzsers, I would like to try that pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to the Italian cookery class in London, the chef made pasta with canned tuna as well... it must be a UK thing, like rootbeer floats in the U.S. Can;t find any rootbeer here, but had the most amazing cream soda the other night.

      Delete
  3. OMG!! how amazing. costco is a heaven sent!! cant wait to hear more about the food!!!

    ReplyDelete